Monday, August 09, 2010

A great day...

The sun finally decided to make an appearance (before 1pm!) in southern California this weekend. So I took FULL advantage and headed down to Manhattan Beach. So much to do and see. Growing up I always thought you had to be a Republican (nothing against Republicans, I have a friend who is a...) to enjoy this little community. Boy have things changed! The place is alive with beach energy. Bike riders everywhere, not a leather soled shoe to be found, bikinis as outerwear, not a blow dried lock for miles, the delicious blend of coconut oil and salt water wafting in the air and the best part...Everyone had a smile on their face!

Took some time to catch up on back issues of the New Yorker...And the new Us magazine!




Brunch at North End. I had (no judging please) the "Zachary" hard fried egg, brie, bacon and raspberry jam! I went in thinking I would eat half...best laid plans, ate the whole darn thing. You would have thought it was my last meal. I fancy myself a bacon connoisseur...this place is the best (more on my favorite subject, bacon, in blogs to come)



Then Sloopy's, a great dive that has been around since 1989. They deliver which in my mind could not be more decadent...Having a chocolate/banana milk shake brought to your door? Come on!




Took a bike ride down to the pier...I had to after the sandwich and milkshake! Note: Nothing screams "California" more then riding along the beach in a bright bikini on a bike.


Took a quick look at some furniture and "things"




Stopped to watch some surfers...obviously not these surfers. But nothing has changed except the length of the board shorts.



Had a one hour $49 massage...not a typo!



Then dinner at Katsuya. If you can call two orders of crispy rice with spicy tuna and a Burning Mandarin (jalepeno and mandarin vodka) "Dinner."


A great day. So great in fact that I have every intention of doing the exact same thing next weekend.



No comments:

Post a Comment